12/15/2009

Mission "Infestation"



[Blogger’s choice: Submitted by Anonymous]

They were everywhere.

I could hear them crawling up towards my hiding place. I would be kidding myself if I thought I was safe.

I wasn't safe. No. I knew that.

And yet I was clinging to that pathetic hope that I might be. Even as I could hear the scratching getting closer, the pitter patter of thousands of tiny feet coming up the stairs, I clenched my eyes shut, trying to believe they wouldn't find me. That they wouldn't be able to get through the rotting attic door that was my only protection.

But they would be. Rats can get through anything. They can dislocate their bones to squeeze through the tightest of tight gaps. And the thought was not appeasing.

I knew it the second they got in. I don't know how, but I did.

The scratching wasn't all that much louder. The squeaking either.

But somehow I knew. The dark behind my eyelids seeming more oppressive. The fear I was already feeling welling up to choke me as my feeble hope shattered.

I knew I had but seconds until they found me.

I hoped it would be painless. But I knew it wouldn't be...

No comments:

Post a Comment